BENEFITS OF BABY SWIMMING
Benefits for Baby:
– Swimming allows babies and toddlers to move independently long before they are able to crawl or walk. This contributes to a healthy motor development and improves the function of the skeletal muscles.
– Movement in the water facilitates the development of coordination and balance as babies learn to roll and move bilaterally in the water.
– Baby swimming may help improve eating and sleeping habits.
– Just as in adults, swimming improves the cardio-respiratory function of babies as well as their general health.
– Baby Swimming promotes independence and self-confidence as babies delight in their achievements and quickly develop social and expressive skills as they play in the water.
– As they progress babies build their water confidence and learn essential water safety skills.
– Premature babies and babies with a disability benefit particularly from Baby Swimming as this may help re-capture stages of motor development that may have been missed and can complement physiotherapy and occupational therapy programmes.
Benefits for you too……
– Baby and Toddler Swimming classes offer gentle exercise of the kind suitable for new mothers.
– Swimming with babies is very relaxing for the adults.
– Spending time in the water and engaging in a focussed recreational activity with their babies and toddlers is a good way for the accompanying adults to unwind and relieve stress.
– Baby Swimming promotes bonding and closeness between adult and baby.
– Adults who are weak swimmers or cannot swim may increase their water confidence.